Mark’s expertise on Canada’s military history and critical analyses of how the nation’s military heritage has been documented over time in academic and popular historical media has led to his being in increasing demand as a speaker.
His talks on the role of remembrance in instilling people with a sense of pride in Canada and its historical achievements are also well received. Recently in Legion Magazine, Jack Granatstein wrote that “it is a pleasure to find an author who can write well. Victoria freelance historian and writer Mark Zuehlke has written well and widely on Canadian military history, and his highly regarded volumes on the Italian campaign and on the campaign in Northern Europe are best sellers and deservedly so.”
To book Mark for a speaking engagement please begin by completing the contact form. Note: fees are commensurate to the size and scope of your event; expenses are additional.
Canada's History - Forum 2014 Keynote: "Tell it like Berton, or maybe a little better"
Here’s a list of notable talks presented over the past few years.
- April 2015 “Winning the War: First Canadian Army and the Rhineland Campaign” presentation as part of the 70 Years of the Liberation of the Netherlands: From Memory to Remembrance Lecture Series hosted by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Canada in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
- February 2015 “Winning the War: First Canadian Army and the Rhineland Campaign” presentation as part of the 70 Years of Liberation of the Netherlands: From Memory to Remembrance Lecture Series hosted by The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Canada at the Military Museums, Calgary.
- January 2015 “The Road to Vimy 2017” Presentation Vancouver for EF Tours.
- January 2015 “The Treaty of Ghent–200 Years of Peace” presentation to Pacific Northwest Canadian Studies Consortium, Seattle.
- January 2015 “The Treaty of Ghent–200 Years of Peace” presentation at Canadian Consulate Maple Leaf Luncheon, Seattle.
- December 2014 “I Canadian Corps and the River Battles” presentation to the Canadians in Ravenna Conference, Ravenna, Italy.
- November 2014 “Forgotten Victory” presentation Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders Regiment hosted book launch, Cornwall, ON.
- November 2014 “Forgotten Victory” presentation Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders Regiment, Minto Armoury, Winnipeg.
- November 2014 “Forgotten Victory” presentation to Royal Niagara Military Institute Dinner, Lincoln & Welland Armoury, St. Catherines, ON.
- November 2014 “Forgotten Victory” presentation at St. Catherine’s History Group, St. Catherine’s, ON.
- November 2014 “Forgotten Victory” presentation at Royal Canadian Military Institute Luncheon, Toronto.
- November 2014 Canada’s History Society History Maker’s Conference Keynote Address “Tell it Like Berton or Even Better,” Ottawa.
- December 2013 “Christmas In Ortona” presentation at the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada’s Annual Ortona Christmas Dinner, Vancouver.
- November 2013 Sidney Literary Festival. Sidney, B.C.
- November 2013 Surrey International Writer’s Festival, Surrey, B.C.
- November 2013 Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada “Tragedy at Dieppe” presentation Minto Armoury, Winnipeg.
- November 2013 Essex Scottish Regiment “Tragedy at Dieppe” presentation Windsor Armoury.
- November 2012 Essex Scottish Regiment Field of Honour Dinner presentation on “Tragedy at Dieppe,” Chatham, ON.
- October 2012 “Glowing Hearts” fundraiser presentation for Operation Husky 2013, Westminster Regiment Armoury, Vancouver.
- May 2012 “Canadians in Normandy” presentation at the Juno Beach D-Day Dinner, Royal Canadian Military Instiutute, Toronto.
- November 2011 “Breakout from Juno” presentation at the Military Museums of Alberta, Calgary.
- November 2011 “Breakout from Juno” presentation at St. Andrew’s College, Toronto.
- November 2011 “Breakout from Juno” presentation Royal Canadian Military Institute Dinner, Toronto.
- November 2011 “Breakout from Juno” presentation at the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum Military Family Day, Ottawa, Ontario.
- November 2011 “Breakout from Juno” book launch presentation hosted by Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlander Regiment, Cornwall, Ontario.
- November 2011 “Breakout from Juno” presentation at Greater Victoria Public Librarys, Victoria.
- May 2011 “Official Histories and the Royal Regiment of Canada” after-dinner presentation at the Battle of Batoche Dinner, Royal Regiment of Canada, Toronto, Ontario.
- May 2010 “On To Victory: The Canadian Liberation of the Netherlands” lecture at the Military Museums of Alberta in Calgary.
- May 2010 “On To Victory: The Canadian Liberation of the Netherlands” lecture, Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. Sponsored by Ambassador Wim Geerts of the Netherlands Embassy to Canada.
- 2009 “Liberation of Holland” Victory in Europe, 65th Anniversary National Student Tour promotion in central Ontario with presentations at schools in Ottawa, Barrie, Whitby, and Woodstock.
- 2009, Victory in Europe, 65th Anniversary, National Student Tour May 2010, Ontario Schools Promotional Tour, November 2009. Lectures delivered at schools in Ottawa, Barrie, Woodstock, and Whitby. Subject: Canada’s Liberation of Holland.
- 2009, RUSI Vancouver Island, Bay Street Armoury, November Luncheon. Subject: Remembrance and the Writing of Canadian Military History.
- 2008, The Military Museums’ Lecture Series, Calgary Alberta. Subject: Giving Voice to Those Who Fought and Won: Mark Zuehlke Speaks On His Best-selling Canadian WW II Battle Series.
- 2008 Distinguished Speaker’s Series, Centre for Military and Strategic Studies, University of Calgary. The Forgotten Campaign: Canada’s WW II Invasion of Sicily, July 10-August 7, 1943.
- 2008 Simon Fraser University Undergraduate Conference of World History. Subject: Writing World War II History and Remembrance.
- 2008 After-Dinner Speaker, University of Victoria’s Military and Oral History Conference. Subject: Between Memory and History.
- 2006 Ottawa International Writers Festival Lecture. Subject: Canada and the War of 1812.
- 2006 Fraser Valley University College Distinguished Speaker Series Lecture. Subject: Writing World War II History and Remembrance
- 2004 Keith Sacre Memorial Lecture, Vancouver Public Library. Subject: Canada and the D-Day Invasion.
- 2004 Royal Canadian Military Institute Distinguished Speaker. Subject: Canada and the D-Day invasion.
- 2003 Surrey Writer’s Festival Presenter.
- 2003 Penticton Writer’s Festival Presenter.
- 2002 Yorkton, Saskatchewan Reunion of Canadian Veterans of the Italian Campaign. Dinner Presentation and Memorial Service Dedication. Subject: Canada and the Italian Campaign in Memory.
- 2000 Lecturer, Canada at War Conference, Department of National Defence, Ottawa. Subject: The Battle of Ortona.